Opening a Restaurant? Here Are Some of the Permits You’ll Need

December 7, 2016 (Published by )

building permits

When constructing or opening any type of building or business, you’ll most likely need some permit help. But if you’re planning on opening a restaurant on a tight timeline, permit expediting services may be a necessity. The sheer number of building permits and licenses you’ll need can be overwhelming, especially for those who are new to the business. Fortunately, we’re here to help. Whether you’re opening a brand new restaurant or expanding through a popular chain, we can help you to obtain the building permits you need for your endeavor. As a quick overview, here are just some of the permits you’ll need for your establishment:

  • City building permit
    City building permits are required in order to make any type of alteration to an existing building or to erect a new structure. If you need to repair or replace plumbing, electrical, or mechanical systems, want to enlarge a room for more occupancy, or would like to make any other types of changes to the existing structural features, you’ll need permission from the city in the form of a permit. That’s because the city needs to make sure that all codes are followed for the sake of safety.
  • Building health permit
    If you’re building an entirely new structure, a building health permit may be in order. You’ll usually apply for a building health permit when you apply for your business license, but requirements do vary by location. These permits ensure that your location and building are sanitary and that everything’s up to code. Inspectors may even address the indoor air quality; as we spend nearly 90% of our lives inside buildings, these codes ensure that employees and customers will be safe in your establishment.
  • Employee health permit
    Not only does your building need to be safe, but the city needs to ensure that your employees will also uphold safety regulations. Typically, your employees will need to purchase a food handler’s permit and complete a food handler’s course. This course will instruct workers about sanitation techniques, proper food storage and handling, and how to avoid spreading dangerous food-borne illnesses.
  • Liquor license
    Although optional, many establishments decide they want to serve alcoholic beverages. In order to do so, you will need to apply for a liquor license. Some states actually require two separate alcohol licenses: one for hard liquor, and another for wine and beer. The process for applying for these licenses can take months, so it’s best to start the application process as soon as possible. While you can open your restaurant before obtaining your license, you cannot serve alcohol until you receive the proper permission.

Because these obtaining permits can be complicated and time-consuming, a permit expediter can be a real asset. Contact us today to find out more about how our services can help you secure the necessary permits in a timely and cost-effective way.